Friday, August 19, 2011

Food Farm SD: Savor Spot




Helllooooo San Diegooo.

57 Degrees, a wine bar located in Mission Hills of SD, hosted a Food Truck Extravaganza where 12 food trucks parked, cooked, and served.

I sprinted out from work at 8:15pm to catch the tail end of this extravagant food parade. Arriving at 8:50, I walked by 8 of the food trucks who were left - to find the words "Avocado Melt" scribbled in green chalk jump out from a chalkboard.

"Awesome," I heard behind me. "Add bacon and that thing is BOMB."

This dude was roughly fourty-two with a stubbly chin, tan, and big friendly wrinkles - the kind of wrinkles that form when you smile a lot.

"The sliders are the best, number one. Avocado melt, two. And the coconut caco is to DIE for. Everything is local or organic."

"Even the coconut?" I asked.

"Ooooohhh yyeeaaa," he said. "You know it. From the sandy exquisite beaches of La Jolla." We both laughed. Then he took a serious pause and said: "Where the hell are the coconuts from?"

At least the coconut milk was organic.

Vegetarian items, like the Soyrizo Chili Fries and Tomato Tart, are included on their menu. Love.

Anyway, I ordered all three items he and his wife (the chef) recommended: the Avocado Melt, Grass-fed Sliders, and the Coconut Caco.

The Avocado Melt is a hearty "pick-me-up." It is melted with swiss cheese and includes an arugula pesto that gives it a salty touch. I asked for half the sandwich to be made with bacon so I could taste it as a vegetarian option and a non-veg. The bacon, I must say, is unique - the texture is softer and it doesn't taste all fatty like my grandma's bacon ... (sorry Grammy). I have to say I'm not a bacon fan, but I appreciated giving it a shot. Though I probably wouldn't get it again on my avo melt, that's only because it was too much salt for my own personal liking. I recommend it to bacon lovers.

Grass-fed sliders:"Oh. WoW!" That's what I thought when I bit those babies. The blue cheese is the first thing that melts into your mouth, giving that flavor burst super tang! Onions are marinated in mustard, and the rolls are imported from Hawaii (not local, but best bread they found competent to match the taste).

The finale - coconut caco - made with rice that uses organic coconut milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Kind of like horchata - but richer. You use a spoon. It smoothly cools the salty aftertaste left from the melt and sliders, a perfect way to end the meal. It's not too sweet and refreshes the palette. Though I think the rice was slightly undercooked - I appreciated the delightful way to end my meal.

Well done Food Farm. I'm glad I found you and I'll be back.


***


No comments:

Post a Comment